Online resources for finding books, articles, useful websites, and helpful information.
These sites are directories of websites which have been selected and recommended by librarians. They are excellent starting points when you need good information about almost anything.
Find product and auto reviews, shopping tips, information about recalls, and consumer-protection agencies.
Buying Guides & General Advice
- Consumer Reports: A lot of free and useful information is available, but a paid subscription is required for product reviews and ratings.
- ConsumerSearch: "Reviewing the reviews." Compiles and analyzes product reviews from magazines and websites. Great starting point.
- Epinions.com: Products rated by people who bought them.
Cars & Trucks
- Car & Driver: Includes the magazine's road tests and reviews, interactive vehicle comparisons, and Kelley Blue Book values.
- Edmunds.com: Reviews, comparisons, price and value information, and tips for buying new or used vehicles.
- The Truth About Cars: Detailed reviews, written with a sense of humor.
Consumer Protection & Complaints
Click on the links below to visit these East Dubuque area websites
Reputable sources for information about health and medicine.
- MedlinePlus: A medical super-site from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. Includes extensive information and links on hundreds of conditions and health issues, drug descriptions, a medical encyclopedia, surgery videos, and more.
- HealthFinder.gov: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' guide to health information.
- NIH SeniorHealth: Information for older adults, from the National Institutes of Health.
- Illinois Health & Wellness: Official guide to state government programs and resources.
- Health-E Illinois: Directory of healthcare providers, facilities, and services.
Library Catalogs & Libraries
If you have a Library Card, we'll borrow items from other libraries for you! Delivery from most Illinois libraries is free.
- PrairieCat: Catalog for approximately 200 libraries in northern Illinois and eastern Iowa.
- WorldCat.org: A catalog of more than a billion items in libraries worldwide.
- Every Library in ILLINET (ELI): Directory of hundreds of Illinois libraries, with links to many libraries' websites and catalogs.
- Digital Illinois: Catalog of electronic collections of documents, photographs, etc., made available online by Illinois libraries.
- Open-Access Text Archive: Thousands of public-domain books and other free books, for online viewing or downloading in plain text or scanned formats. Part of the Internet Archive site.
- Library of Congress Digital Collections: A large number of pamphlets, letters, historic documents, pictures, early films and recordings, and other items are available online.
Illinois & Local History
Online documents, photos, articles, and other information about the history of Illinois and the local area.
Magazine & News Articles
Online archives and search engines for finding articles from magazines and newspapers..
- Google News: Search for articles from newspaper, TV news, newswires, and other reporting websites.
- Topix: Find local news published on websites and blogs.
Find Facts Fast
Encyclopedias, almanacs, dictionaries, statistics, and other sites for quickly looking up facts.